I am interested in MRI technology innovations and relevant clinical studies. One of my main interests is quantitative MRI based on spin-lock techniques. The aim is to make it robust and reliable to detect certain biochemical symptoms of diseased tissue, which can be used for early detection and post-treatment monitoring of diseases. My other main interests include the development of MRI applications based on machine learning/deep learning technologies. We work closely with clinical colleagues to evaluate the diagnostic value of our technology inventions.
PhD. University of Virginia, Biomedical Engineering, 2008
MSc. Stanford University, Geophysics, 2004
BSc. Peking University, Geophysics, 1998
- Zhao S, Cahill DG, Siyue L, Fan X, Blu T, Griffith JF, Chen W*. Denoising of three-dimensional fast spin echo magnetic resonance images of knee joints using spatial-variant noise-relevant residual learning of convolution neural network. Computers in Biology and Medicine. 2022 Nov 9:106295.
- Zhong J, Yao Y, Cahill DG, Xiao F, Li S, Lee J, Ho KK, Ong MT, Griffith JF, Chen W*. Unsupervised Domain Adaptation for Automated Knee Osteoarthritis Phenotype Classification. arXiv preprint arXiv:2212.07023. 2022 Dec 14.
- Huang C, Qian Y, Yu SC, Hou J, Jiang B, Chan Q, Wong VW, Chu WC, Chen W*. Uncertainty-aware self-supervised neural network for liver T1ρ mapping with relaxation constraint. Physics in Medicine & Biology. 2022 Nov 18;67(22):225019.
- Hou J, Wong VW, Qian Y, Jiang B, Chan AW, Leung HH, Wong GL, Yu SC, Chu WC, Chen W*. Detecting Early‐Stage Liver Fibrosis Using Macromolecular Proton Fraction Mapping Based on Spin‐Lock MRI: Preliminary Observations. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging. 2022 Jun 26.
- Qian Y, Wong VW, Hou J, Jiang B, Chu WC, Chen W*. Inhomogeneous liver fibrosis distribution revealed by macromolecular proton fraction quantification based on spin-lock MRI. Quant Imaging Med Surg 2022;12(8)
- Khan S, Azam B, Yao Y, Chen W*. Deep collaborative network with alpha matte for precise knee tissue segmentation from MRI. Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine. 2022 Jun 17:106963.
- Hong J, Zhang YD, Chen W*. Source-free unsupervised domain adaptation for cross-modality abdominal multi-organ segmentation. Knowledge-Based Systems. 2022 Jun 2:109155.
- Qian Y, Hou J, Jiang B, Wong VW, Lee J, Chan Q, Wang Y, Chu WC, Chen W*. Characterization and correction of the effects of hepatic iron on T 1ρ relaxation in the liver at 3.0 T. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine. 2022 May.
- Hong J, Yu SC, Chen W*. Unsupervised domain adaptation for cross-modality liver segmentation via joint adversarial learning and self-learning. Applied Soft Computing. 2022 May
- Au CK, Abrigo J, Liu C, Liu W, Lee J, Au LW, Chan Q, Chen S, Leung EY, Ho CL, Ko H, Mok V, Chen, W. Quantitative Susceptibility Mapping of the Hippocampal Fimbria in Alzheimer’s Disease. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging. 2021 Jun;53(6):1823-32.
- Hou J, Wong VW, Jiang B, Wang YX, Wong GL, Chan AW, Chu WC, Chen W*. Macromolecular proton fraction mapping based on spin‐lock magnetic resonance imaging. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine. 2020 Dec;84(6):3157-71.
- Chen W*, Karampinos DC. Chemical‐shift encoding–based water–fat separation with multifrequency fat spectrum modeling in spin‐lock MRI. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine. 2020 May;83(5):1608
- Ai QY, Chen W*, So TY, Lam WK, Jiang B, Poon DM, Qamar S, Mo FK, Blu T, Chan Q, Ma BB, Hui EP, Chan KCA, King AD*. Quantitative T1ρ MRI of the Head and Neck Discriminates Carcinoma and Benign Hyperplasia in the Nasopharynx. American Journal of Neuroradiology. 2020 Dec 1;41(12):2339-44.
- Jiang B, Jin T, Blu T, Chen W*. Probing chemical exchange using quantitative spin‐lock R1ρ asymmetry imaging with adiabatic RF pulses. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine. 2019 Nov;82(5):1767
- Law BK, King AD, Ai QY, Poon DM, Chen W, Bhatia KS, Ahuja AT, Ma BB, Ka-Wai Yeung D, Fai Mo FK, Wang YX. Head and neck tumors: amide proton transfer MRI. Radiology. 2018 Sep;288(3):782
- Jiang B, Chen W*. On‐resonance and off‐resonance continuous wave constant amplitude spin‐lock and T1ρ quantification in the presence of B1 and B0 inhomogeneities. NMR in Biomedicine. 2018 Jul;31(7):e3928
- Wang YX, Deng M, Lo GG, Liang D, Yuan J, Chen W. Breath-hold black-blood T1rho mapping improves liver T1rho quantification in healthy volunteers. Acta Radiologica. 2018 Mar;59(3):257
- Villanueva-Meyer JE, Barajas Jr RF, Mabray MC, Chen W, Shankaranarayanan A, Koon P, Barani IJ, Tihan T, Cha S. Differentiation of brain tumor-related edema based on 3D T1rho imaging. European journal of radiology. 2017 Jun 1;91:88
- Chen W*. Artifacts correction for T1rho imaging with constant amplitude spin-lock. Journal of Magnetic Resonance. 2017 Jan 1;274:13
- Tamir JI, Uecker M, Chen W, Lai P, Alley MT, Vasanawala SS, Lustig M. T2 shuffling: sharp, multicontrast, volumetric fast spin‐echo imaging. Magnetic resonance in medicine. 2017 Jan;77(1):180
- Bao S, Tamir JI, Young JL, Tariq U, Uecker M, Lai P, Chen W, Lustig M, Vasanawala SS. Fast comprehensive single‐sequence four‐dimensional pediatric knee MRI with T2 shuffling. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging. 2017 Jun;45(6):1700
- Chen W*, Chan Q, Wáng YX. Breath-hold black blood quantitative T1rho imaging of liver using single shot fast spin echo acquisition. Quantitative Imaging in Medicine and Surgery. 2016 Apr;6(2):168.
- Chen W*. Errors in quantitative T1rho imaging and the correction methods. Quantitative imaging in medicine and surgery. 2015 Aug;5(4):583.
- Matzat SJ, McWalter EJ, Kogan F, Chen W, Gold GE. T2 relaxation time quantitation differs between pulse sequences in articular cartilage. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging. 2015 Jul;42(1):105-13.
- Jordan CD, McWalter EJ, Monu UD, Watkins RD, Chen W, Bangerter NK, Hargreaves BA, Gold GE. Variability of CubeQuant T1ρ, quantitative DESS T2, and cones sodium MRI in knee cartilage. Osteoarthritis and cartilage. 2014 Oct 1;22(10):1559
- Li CQ, Chen W, Rosenberg JK, Beatty PJ, Kijowski R, Hargreaves BA, Busse RF, Gold GE. Optimizing isotropic three‐dimensional fast spin‐echo methods for imaging the knee. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging. 2014 Jun;39(6):1417
- Li X, Wyatt C, Rivoire J, Han E, Chen W, Schooler J, Liang F, Shet K, Souza R, Majumdar S. Simultaneous acquisition of T1ρ and T2 quantification in knee cartilage: repeatability and diurnal variation. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging. 2014 May;39(5):1287
- Chen W*, Takahashi A, Han E. Quantitative T1ρ imaging using phase cycling for B0 and B1 field inhomogeneity compensation. Magnetic resonance imaging. 2011 Jun 1;29(5):608
- Chen CA, Chen W, Goodman SB, Hargreaves BA, Koch KM, Lu W, Brau AC, Draper CE, Delp SL, Gold GE. New MR imaging methods for metallic implants in the knee: artifact correction and clinical impact. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging. 2011 May;33(5):1121
- Stevens KJ, Wallace CG, Chen W, Rosenberg JK, Gold GE. Imaging of the wrist at 1.5 tesla using isotropic three‐dimensional fast spin echo cube. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging. 2011 Apr;33(4):908
- Koch KM, Brau AC, Chen W, Gold GE, Hargreaves BA, Koff M, McKinnon GC, Potter HG, King KF. Imaging near metal with a MAVRIC‐SEMAC hybrid. Magnetic resonance in medicine. 2011 Jan;65(1):71
- Koch KM, Hargreaves BA, Pauly KB, Chen W, Gold GE, King KF. Magnetic resonance imaging near metal implants. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging. 2010 Oct;32(4):773
- Hargreaves BA, Chen W, Lu W, Alley MT, Gold GE, Brau AC, Pauly JM, Pauly KB. Accelerated slice encoding for metal artifact correction. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging: An Official Journal of the International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine. 2010 Apr;31(4):987
- Chen W, Sica CT, Meyer CH. Fast conjugate phase image reconstruction based on a Chebyshev approximation to correct for B0 field inhomogeneity and concomitant gradients. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine: An Official Journal of the International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine. 2008 Nov;60(5):1104
1. PI, General Research Fund 2022/2023
Project title: Simultaneous quantification of liver fat content, fatty acid composition, and fibrosis using non-invasive breath-hold quantitative spin-lock MRI for assessment of non‐alcoholic steatohepatitis. Hong Kong Research Grants Council (RGC). HK$1,075,574. 01/01/2023-31/12/2025
2. PI, General Research Fund 2021/2022
Project title: Assessment of fibrosis by non-invasive quantitative imaging of collagen in the liver using breath-hold MRI with comparison with MR elastography and liver biopsy. Hong Kong Research Grants Council (RGC). HK$558,929. 01/01/2022-31/12/2023
3. PI, Innovation and Technology Fund (ITF) Midstream Research Programme for Universities (MRP) 2020/2021
Project title: Development of Fully Automated Non-Invasive MRI Applications for Diagnosis and Staging of Liver Fibrosis and Inflammation. Hong Kong Innovation and Technology Commission (ITC). HK$6,800,000. 01/07/2021-30/06/2024
4. PI, Hong Kong Health and Medical Research Fund (HMRF) 2018/2019
Project title: Quantitative Rotating Frame Relaxometry for Early Detection of Liver Fibrosis in Presence of Hepatic Iron. Hong Kong Food and Health Bureau. HK$1,300,998. 01/08/2019-31/07/2022
5. PI, Innovation and Technology Fund (ITF) Midstream Research Programme for Universities (MRP) 2018/2019
Project title: Development Of A Quantitative And Fully Automated Non-Contrast MRI Application For Early Detection And Monitoring Of Joint Diseases In Elderly Population. Hong Kong Innovation and Technology Commission (ITC). HK$7,838,528. 01/02/2019-31/12/2022
6. PI, Faculty Innovation Award 2018
Project title: Develop Robust, Non-invasive, and Contrast-free Imaging Biomarkers Based on Magnetic Resonance Spin-lock Technology for Diagnosis of Biochemical Symptoms at The Early Stage of Human Diseases. Faculty of Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong. HK$2,500,000. 01/01/2018-31/12/2022
7. PI, Innovation and Technology Fund (ITF) Innovation and Technology Support Programme (ITSP) 2017/2018
Project title: Develop Magnetic Resonance Imaging Technology for Fat-Water Imaging and Simultaneous T1rho Quantification. Hong Kong Innovation and Technology Commission (ITC). HK$1,395,789. 01/01/2018-30/06/2019
8. PI, General Research Fund 2017/2018
Project title: Develop and evaluate breathhold black blood magnetic resonance imaging technology for simultaneous acquisition of quantitative T1rho and its composite metric for early diagnosis of liver fibrosis. Hong Kong Research Grants Council (RGC). HK$466,667. 01/01/2018-31/06/2020
9. PI, Innovation and Technology Fund (ITF) Innovation and Technology Support Programme (ITSP) 2016/2017
Project title: Develop A Magnetic Resonance Imaging Application of T1rho Relaxometry for Routine Clinical Use. Hong Kong Innovation and Technology Commission (ITC). HK$1,281,100. 01/03/2017-31/12/2018
1. W Chen, CH Meyer, Fast automatic linear off-resonance correction method for spiral imaging, US Patent 7,642,777, Filed 21/08/2007, Date of Patent 05/01/2010
2. W Chen, CH Meyer, CT Sica, System, Method and Computer Program Product for Fast Conjugate Phase Reconstruction Based on Polynomial Approximation, US Patent 8,094,907, Filed 02/05/2008, Date of Patent 10/01/2012
3. W Chen, P Hu, CH Meyer, Method and System for Off-Resonance Correction for Non-Cartesian Parallel Imaging Reconstruction, US Patent 8,306,289, Filed 25/02/2008, Date of Patent 06/11/2012
4. W Chen, CH Meyer, Efficient Off-Resonance Correction Method and System for Spiral Imaging with Improved Accuracy, US Patent 8,238,634, Filed 25/02/2008, Date of Patent 07/08/2012
5. W Chen, P Hu, CH Meyer, Rapid Auto-Calibrated Parallel Reconstruction Using Synthetic Target Coil, US Patent 8,026,720, Filed 25/03/2009, Date of Patent 27/09/2011
6. W Chen, ACS Brau, PJ Beatty, System and Method of Parallel Imaging for Magnetic Resonance Imaging Near Metallic Implants, US Patent 8,482,279, Filed 31/03/2010, Date of Patent 09/07/2013
7. W Chen, E Han, Composite Spin Locking Pulse Sequence and Method of Using the Same, US Patent 8,618,797, Filed 23/07/2010, Date of Patent 31/12/2013
8. P Lai, W Chen, Accelerated Multispectral Data Magnetic Resonance Imaging System and Method, US Patent 9,018,951, Filed 18/04/2011, Date of Patent 28/04/2015
9. W Chen, RD Peters, ZW Slavens, KM Koch, Method and apparatus for ring artifact repair of magnetic resonance images, US Patent 9,727,953, Filed 30/06/2015, Date of Patent 08/08/2017
10. W Chen, B Jiang, Y Wang, Quantitative Magnetic Resonance Imaging Relaxometry with Suppression of Blood Signal, US Patent 10,557,906, Filed 27/04/2017, Date of Patent 11/02/2020
11. W Chen. System and Method for Separation of Water and Fat Signals During Spin-lock Magnetic Resonance Imaging, US Patent 10,598,751, Filed 04/02/2019, Date of Patent 24/03/2020
12. K Gan, W Chen. System and Method for Patient Privacy Protection in Medical Images, US Patent 10,679,740, Filed 12/06/2018, Date of Patent 09/06/2020
13. W Chen, B Jiang. System and Method for Continuous Wave Constant Amplitude On-Resonance and Off-resonance Spin-Lock for Magnetic Resonance Imaging, US 11,137,463, USA patent, Filed 28/07/2017, Date of Patent 05/10/2021
14. W Chen, J Hou, B Jiang. System and Method for Quantitative Magnetization Transfer Imaging Based on Spin-Lock. US 11,280,867 B2, USA patent, Filed 13/05/2020, Date of Patent 22/03/2022 (Gold medal, 48th International Exhibition of Inventions of Geneva)